Monday, October 12, 2009

The best band you are (probably) not listening to



This weekend, I had the sensory pleasure of seeing Grizzly Bear in concert. The indie darlings were melodic, charming, and completely rocking. Opening for Grizzly Bear, however, was Beach House, the best band you are (probably) not listening to. I’ve loved them for awhile but their live performance confirmed my undying love; theirs was one of the best I’ve seen in recent memory. Grizzly Bear’s Ed Droste told the audience, “You should really listen to this band.” I know Ed, I know.

I first discovered Beach House in the winter of 2008 after they released their second album, Devotion. During the desolate Vermont winter, I was warmed by the otherworldly melodies and the poetic lyrics that would dance around romantically in my head.

Hailing from Baltimore, Maryland, Beach House is Victoria Legrand and Alex Scully. Legrand and Scully employ a keyboard, organ, guitar, and exquisite vocals to create some of the most original music I’ve heard. I read an article describing Beach House as “unclassifiable” music with which I wholeheartedly agree. Often artists are cheaply passed as sounding like x artist (I find this particularly common in bands with female vocals). However, vocalist Victoria Legrand’s voice is so hauntingly beautiful, she is unparalleled in comparisons.

I don’t care much for “Best of” lists, no matter how accurate they are. However, both Beach House’s first album Beach House and their second effort, Devotion, were included on Pitchfork’s Best Albums list in 2006 and 2008, respectively.

I have to wait until 2010 to hear another Beach House album. Yet, this band’s already impressive body of work is sure to get me through another long winter. I implore you to check out this beautifully talented band.

What, say you, is the best band that we’re not listening to?

ps:

2 comments:

  1. I gotta check this band out, but in response to your question, the best band you're not listening to is Mother Mother. Check out some of their best songs like "Neighbours", "Body of Years", and "Ghosting"

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think although it is great to talk about the bands we aren't listening to that we SHOULD be, It is important to note the bands we ARE listening to that we shouldn't be!

    ReplyDelete