Sunday, October 18, 2009

Where The Wild Things Are -- Follow up


So I made a post a couple weeks ago talking about Spike Jonze and how wonderfully brilliant, cool and awesome he is. Yep, still right about that. Go see Where The Wild Things Are, I wasn't disappointed and hopefully you won't be either!

I'd like to first say how amazing all of the costume and set design was. The wild things, the big furry, towering creatures that they are, were made out of big foam suits in combination with CGI (for their heads.)
side note: I'd like to give some props to Maurice Sendak for introducing some of the strangest creatures especially within a children's story-- sometimes horned, sometimes fanged, furry yet fierce, big, loveable, mismatched wild things.
There's an amazing fort-type building they create in the movie which was also an incredible aesthetic element.


I wasn't really sure what to expect-- purely a children's movie or something more.
I got a lot more. You can definitely read into this movie as a commentary on life-- where we are the wild things trying to find some sense of order-- having to confront answerless questions and thus having to come up with our own sense of meaning-- the important part is how, who, or what you define this meaning as.

It's darker than I was expecting, which I really liked-- It didn't try to sugarcoat ideas by presenting an easy solution to the questions it asked.

Karen O. (lead singer of the Yeah Yeah Yeah's) and The Kids, wrote the soundtrack for the movie, which takes you on a journey in tandem with the film, playful, dark, sad, lonely, happy, etc.

so after the seeing the movie, my own personal wants:
- one of the suits Max wears
- A big, life-sized wild thing stuffed animal

4 comments:

  1. Thanks! I have been following some of the hype about this movie, but I wasn't sure what to think. Sounds like it's something I'd really enjoy, so I'll have to check it out. Good post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here is the answer to your max suit desire!!! I hope you have the cash though..
    http://www.openingceremony.us/entry.asp?pid=318

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good post, I wanted to go see this last night, however my dad didnt seem too excited about it. So I got stuck watching transformers instead, buut good to know that I won't be wasting my money when I go =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. i went into this movie increbily hesitant (the marketing made me want to puke) and left re-believing in the beauty of humanity. i absoultely loved this film!

    ReplyDelete