Wednesday, September 9, 2009

9.9.9 a tribute to Tim Burton



Though Tim Burton didn't direct "9," it's clear in it's appearance that he had a hand in it. Co-Producied by Burton and Timur Bekmambetov, Directed by Shane Ackman, "9" is an animated movie about a "stitchpunk" named (numbered may be more appropriate) 9. He is part of a group of stitchpunks, who seem to represent most of what is left of civilization. They must find out how to survive and potentially save what's left of society while also fighting off "the machines" who seem to be destroying what life remains. The whole synopsis is a bit hazy, and seems like one of those things you just have to see to understand (or not).




I'm gonna go ahead and rewind back to 1985 when Tim Burton put out "Pee-Wee's Big Adventure." Now if you haven't seen this movie, you're truely missing out on something uniquely special/ weird/ slightly creepy and pretty funny. I think it's safe to say that a lot of Tim Burton's movies have become big cult successes-- "Edward Scissorhands," "Beetle Juice," and arguably many of his others. He wrote "The Nightmare Before Christmas" which has won 3 saturn awards and been nominated for an oscar.

He is an inspiration to me-- seeing that he not only comes up with a compelling story line but also presents it in such a way that is completely his own. Burton seems to take an interest in stories about social outcasts/ social deviants with both "Beetle Juice" and "Edward Scissorhands" and arguably "Big Fish" as well.

A not-so-random fact about Burton: He grew up right near a cemetary. When I read this, it kind of clicked to me, he deals with themes of death often in his movies; after-death beings, skeletons, and there is something very reminiscent of cemeteries in his artistic style.

A question for you: What did you think of his remake of "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory?"
Is it comparable to the original? Maybe their both good in very different ways... let me know what you think.

As for this brief Tim Burton spat, I think I'm going to end it on how excited I am for his remake of "Alice in Wonderland." I think it was the perfect movie for him in that there are so many opportunities to stylize and just have fun with the story as a whole. There are such a great variety of characters too, and I kind of have a soft spot for Johnny Depp, yeah how unoriginal of me. Oh and it's in 3-D. (Thoughts?)

3 comments:

  1. Not gonna lie, I couldn't bring myself to watch Charlie and the Chocolate Factory sans Gene Wilder. But I am so psyched for the new Alice in Wonderland movie, the trailer looks amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd have to agree that Gene Wilder was a much more...hmm, classy style of whimsical as Wonka rather than the borderline psycho played by Jonny Depp (not that I don't appreciate that and everything Depp does).

    I like the term "stitchpunk" in referring to 9. I haven't heard it before and find it extremely fitting. The movie borders along a steam/cyberpunk aesthetic and it just so happens that they happen to be two of my favorite anythings.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah whilst I too love Johnny Depp, don't think you should mess with a classic like Gene Wilder as Willy Wonka. Without meaning to be punny Charlie and the Chocolate factory, well, it was just all too sweet. And the songs? Forget about it.

    Anyways I am hanging out here in Australia to check out Burton's Alice in Wonderland, although I've been told it's not 100% true to the book - which surely was demented enough - like Alice is old or something? I guess I'll find out. Seeing it as soon as I can.

    ReplyDelete