Tuesday, September 15, 2009

The Walkmen


I'd like to introduce all of you to The Walkmen. Easily my favorite band, I like almost every single one of their songs. This is pretty rare for me, there is usually a song worth skipping on most albums but I feel like since this isn't a desire while listening to them-- thats good enough reason to call them my favorite.

Their first album, "Everyone Who Pretended To Like Me is Gone" received an 8.7 on pitchfork. Preeeeeeetty damn good for a first album. Their most unique and distinguishable trait is that they incorporate an upright piano into a lot of their songs. Now I know very little about the nuances of making music or what the appropriate terms for things are so I'll give you the laurax lowdown. hmmm that could definitely be some sort of sweet title for a news column or something.... (wishful thinking) ANYWAYsss... The Walkmen are a bit rough but very composed in that way-- they don't sound like something new and when I say that, I mean they don't use much technology in their music. They stick to the basics (for the most part, + upright piano) bass, drums, guitar and an extremely talented frontman who can really push his voice at all the right times.

** Please listen to "The Blizzard of '96"-- a friend of mine said it made him feel like it was snowing. They have this way of inviting you inside their song and creating a kind of climate to be in for about two and a half minutes.


They went on to make "Bows and Arrows" which featured "The Rat," which became pretty popular. A little more fast paced, this album has some more drums but is still distinctly recognizable as The Walkmen. I must admit, the first song I really wanted to play while learning the drums was "Little House of Savages" which turns out to be pretty easy-- a pretty simple beat thats repeated throughout the song.

I think... well.. I know that I have a pretty big crush on Hamilton Leithauser-- he is an amazing vocalist and one of those musicians who sounds almost identical to his albums in concert, which I was seriously impressed with.

Their third album, "A Hundred Miles Off" was not received as well as their others but I thought it was great nonetheless. Listen to "Brandy Alexander" and rock out to some Carribean sounding drum beats. This album is definitely different and not as tightly one style as their others but in this way, I definitely appreciate it and can still identify it as being The Walkmen.

Anyways, since this is pretty much just a ramble-- I IMPLORE you to check out The Walkmen, listen to their music, look at some pictures, watch some videos. I'll leave another one from their latest album "You and Me" (which you should download).

oh and here's one of the only pictures that came out when I saw them play in NYC:




1 comment:

  1. agreed- awesome band. i saw them at pitchfork in 2006 and this summer too. very, very good live performers.

    ReplyDelete